URO FORUM

The Lebanese Urology Society Forum

By Walid Alame
What is your preferred first line mCRPC treatment option in the majority of symptomatic men who did receive Docetaxel in the castration - sensitive setting ?
1- Abiraterone or Enzalutamide
2-Cabazitaxel
3-Observe
By Nehme Raad
Walid Alame wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:00 pm
What is your preferred first line mCRPC treatment option in the majority of symptomatic men who did receive Docetaxel in the castration - sensitive setting ?
1- Abiraterone or Enzalutamide
2-Cabazitaxel
3-Observe
This is a very interesting question indeed that needs to be the subject of a study.
So for a patient who previously received Docetaxel in the setting of a metastatic hormone-naive prostate cancer, and who became now castrate resistant while being symptomatic, what would I choose?
- Surely not observation because the patient is symptomatic
- I think that the choice between chemotherapy and hormonal therapy would rely on the same criteria for a patient who didn't receive prior Docetaxel (visceral metastasis, time to resistant, fatigue, volume overload ...).
The only problem would be: how much will the hormones be sensitive after a prior chemo? As we know, in CRPC, hormones are not very efficient after chemo. But here, there is a time gap between chemo and hormones (and this is not usually the case in CRPC).
- I would probably add another choice here: Use of Docetaxel again before shifting to Cabazitaxel.
We don't want to forget that we have previously stopped Docetaxel because we have completed the 6 cycles of chemo (and not because of resistant - and this is another argument why hormones might be sensitive in this case). So using Docetaxel would be a valid choice as well.

You can visit our website uroleb.org